Some of you have asked for more ideas for snacks which fit the rules of my health plan, and I realized I pretty much eat the same snacks over and over. In general, I am not hungry at snack times and I eat just to keep my blood sugar levels from taking a dive. The not-being-hungry makes me not-very-creative. Thanks to members of our secret group on Facebook (Join us? Click here, “like” my page, and comment with a request to join. I will add you to the secret group which can only be seen by members!) I am stepping out of my comfortable box and sharing some great ideas for snacks which fit my plan… and which are easy and tasty so I will actually eat them. These are my faves so far:
1) One small pear and one string cheese. Slice pear into 8 slices and cut them in half again to make 16 chunks. Cut string cheese into 8 pieces and make skewers of pear/cheese/pear on toothpicks.
2) One Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup frozen berries, stevia to taste or very small drizzle of raw honey, and a handful of whole, raw almonds.
3) One small apple with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter and small handful of whole, raw almonds.
4) 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (not reduced fat!) and half cup of berries. (Okay, so I personally hate cottage cheese. But there are lots of people who love it and you might be one of them… and this snack would be a great choice for you.)
5) Beef or Turkey Jerky (low sodium with no sugar used in preparation) with a small navel orange or 6 green grapes.
6) 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds with 6 raw baby carrots.
7) Lettuce deli wrap: One large piece of leaf lettuce layered with two slices of low sodium deli meat (not the honey kind!), a sprinkle of shredded cheese and slice of tomato, sea salt and pepper… roll up and enjoy.
8) Lettuce bean burrito: 1/2 cup black beans mixed with one tablespoon of no-sugar-added salsa. Mash with fork and heat in microwave. Roll up in piece of romaine lettuce with sprinkle of cheese.
9) Open-faced banana sandwich: 1/2 of a 100% whole wheat “bagel thin” spread with natural peanut butter (Smuckers is the only kind I use) and toasted in toaster oven. Top with 1/2 sliced banana and 4 raw pecan halves.
10) A few celery sticks filled with almond butter and topped with whole almonds.
11) Two tablespoons of hummus with celery, carrots, and snow peas.
12) 1/4 cup of old fashioned oats cooked on stove with 1/2 cup of water, sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, one packet of stevia, and whisk in one egg during last minute of cooking. You won’t taste it! Top with a handful of walnuts or almonds and 1/4 of a thinly sliced apple.
I will look for more gourmet ideas and do some taste testing for future posts, but the above are snacks I either have had pretty regularly on my health plan or that I know I would like (minus the cottage cheese one, but I gave that disclaimer already!) Please comment below if this helps and if you have other ideas for great snacks which follow the general rules of the plan!
Now, for more Grace Counting:
121. 122. 123. A Gift in Losing, Finding, Making Something... I lost my closest friend a long time ago. The broken heart almost killed me and I used it as an excuse to become mean, ugly, bitter for a time. But You found me, dug me out of the pit, and helped me find me again, too. And then you made something beautiful out of nothing, convicted me of sin and cleansed me, healed my broken heart. When the scar aches now, I remember Your faithfulness when I wasn’t faithful to You. Thank You for loving me enough not to leave me in that place.
124. The sweetest date night with Cowboy Saturday, even including the scary drive home in the fiercest snow-so-thick-we-couldn’t-see-the-road-at-all. I love being anywhere with him.
125. Clothes for church that do not have to be completely removed for me to nurse BraveHeart! Thankful for Cowboy’s sister who kept the older Hearts, Cowboy’s mom who went with me to care for BraveHeart while I tried on clothes, thankful there were some that fit, and truthfully, thankful the shopping trip for the next few months is over.
126. Thankful for my mom, who (though sick with a nasty cold) is picking up TrueHeart from tumbling for me tonight so I would not have to make two trips to Florence in one day. I don’t know what I would do without her, Lord.